'Anzac Day'

6:30 AM

Now that the retreat layouts are done, I wanted to share this one. I really struggled with it (you can tell from that sentence alone that I didn't complete this at retreat)! I was originally going to only use one photo, then I wasn't sure about the patterned paper choices. The one thing I did know was that I wanted to use these particular light wood veneer pieces from Words or Whatever.

To commemorate Anzac day this year, we headed to Canberra, and attended the dawn service at the Australian War Memorial. This was extremely special as it was 100 years since the start of Australia's involvement in WWI. The day the Anzac spirit was born.


Anzac Day


These light wood veneer pieces are just perfect to document such a moving and special day. Being light wood veneer, there is no reason to alter them in any way.


To add to the layout I found floating around on my scrap desk this decorative piece. The first thing I did was cut it in half then paint it white. I wanted it to add texture to the layout, rather than be a feature.


I just love this piece, and know that, as I have another one of it, it will get used again on another layout in early 2016. The best part about it is that even though 2015 marks 100 years since the beginning of the Australian involvement in WWI, the next couple of years will also fall under this logo, with the whole of WWI being about the birth of the Anzac spirit. This means that this piece can be used again for the next couple of years.


I really wanted this layout to be about the journaling of the event more than anything. I wanted to remember how quiet it was, how it really is the coldest right before the dawn, hearing all of those names being read out and the diary entries. It was special being there and something I never want to forget. And this is the reason why we scrapbook.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images